The Fédération du personnel de soutien scolaire (CSQ) is:
- The only Quebec federation that exclusively represents school support staff in schools and centres. It is affiliated to the Centrale des syndicats du Québec (CSQ).
- The development of expertise in every field of professional interest to its members, including:
- complementary services to students: special education, daycare, student supervision, laboratories, recreation, documentation, etc.;
- the manual and skilled trades sector;
- the administrative, secretarial, technical and paratechnical sector.
- With its structure, it is a federation that is close to the realities and needs of its members with regard to the negotiation and application of their working conditions.
- A commitment to maintain and support local unions to make them strong, reasoned and able to handle labor relations and defend their members. In this regard, federation employees use their expertise to train local union teams and support them in their technical, political and legal responsibilities. Information and training play an important role in our relationship with local union officers.
- Close to twenty-seven thousand (27, 000) members in school boards across the province.
The Fédération du personnel de soutien scolaire (CSQ):
- Benefits from the CSQ’s expertise in education and public services.
- Takes advantage of privileged ties with teachers and professional staff in the world of education to create inter-category relationships for quality collaboration in everyday affairs and in high-intensity periods of negotiations.
- Is autonomous and exercises its power and influence within the CSQ on behalf of support staff.
- Fights for respect of its members and their working conditions.
- Regularly informs its members on various issues.
- Is attentive and respectful of the member’s right to speak with the adoption of its statement of principles.
- Helps local unions to improve their status within the organization by providing a financial structure that promotes the participation of FPSS-CSQ affiliates, in order to:
- Ensure a dynamic and active union presence within the organization;
- Demonstrate a genuine local availability to meet, greet and listen to members;
- Monitor and defend issues at the local level;
- Take concrete actions to ensure that the working conditions of its members are respected;
- Empower representatives of local unions to help them fulfill their duty to represent their members, both locally and provincially;
- Assume its responsibility and be recognized as vital to the daily affairs of local unions.
School support staff have been associated with the CSQ, formerly the CEQ, since 1974 as part of the Fédération du personnel de soutien, a federation that included support staff from school boards, colleges and universities.
In August 1998, delegates of the different groups decided to split the federation to better respond to the political, professional and working conditions of their respective members. The Fédération du personnel de soutien scolaire is a young, open, modern and dynamic federation.
The Fédération du personnel de soutien scolaire (FPSS-CSQ) represents nearly 27,000 employees working in 25 school boards, who are members of 19 unions spread throughout Quebec.
The Federal Council (CF) is the decision-making body of the FPSS-CSQ between the triennial congresses. There are at least 4 meetings of the council each year where about 50 delegates appointed by their unions are given the opportunity to actively participate in the decision-making process. It adopts the budget, budgetary revisions and financial statements, it forms any committee it deems appropriate and, among other things, takes any decision likely to encourage school support staff to participate in union affairs.
It also ensures political control over negotiations. It studies and adopts, among other things, the contents of provincial demands and the final acceptance of an agreement. It is composed of the Executive Committee, union delegates and members of the negotiating team who are also members of local unions.
The Congress is the supreme body of the Fédération du personnel de soutien scolaire (FPSS-CSQ). It is a triennial event where we review what was accomplished during the previous three years and decide on the orientations that will guide our actions in the following three years.
This is why local unions appoint more delegates to attend the Congress than for Federal Councils, thus allowing for a broader debate.
Aside from discussing the major orientations and adopting amendments to the Federation’s bylaws, regulations and policies, delegates also elect the members of the FPSS-CSQ Executive Committee during the Congress.
Professional Affairs Committees and Working Tables
These are created to address specific or ongoing needs related to the professional concerns or working conditions of our members.
They are composed of members of local unions or Federal Council delegates, one member of the Executive Committee and, depending on the subject matter, Federation or Centrale advisors may be assigned to assist.
The Comité d’interprétation, de formation et d’application de la convention collective (CIFACC).
Since the local union is where most of the daily action takes place, the Federation organizes regular meetings, in addition to training offered by the Centrale, of local union representatives to provide training in working conditions and labour laws and develop expertise.